Monday, October 6, 2008

Is Target Grade Ammo Worth It?


October 6, 2008

Is buying “target grade” ammo really worth it? I’ve always believed a shooter could get better results using higThank quality, target grade ammo but I didn’t know how it would work for me. When I’m out plinking why should I spend 30-50% more for .22 ammo? Besides one of the reasons I shoot the inexpensive stuff was so I could shoot big quantities without breaking the bank.

I do know that my Ruger Mark III Hunter likes Federal ammunition better than Winchester or Remington. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and noticed some Target Grade Federal .22 sitting next to the Federal .22 I normally buy. On a whim my buddy Doug bought me a box of both and headed out to the range.

Cost breaks down like this. Standard Federal .22 is $14.88 for a box of 550. The Target Grade is the same price for a box of 325.

I wasn’t sure what to expect but the results were staggering. The photos you see are of targets shot at about 12 yards. Doug and I tried to make the experiment as real and truthful as possible. We allowed ourselves to shoot with elbows rested on the range table but not using a Ransom-type rest or sand bags. To eliminate the psychological effect, we loaded each other’s guns so we wouldn’t know what ammo we were shooting.

Also, we replicated this process about 10 times each so we could estimate the average benefit of shooting a more expensive Target Grade Ammo. Here are three pictures that sum up the result of our experiment. Each photo shows 10 shots with standard Federal ammo and 10 with Target Grade. It's obvious which is which.



I will be adding to this article as soon as we can try this with several another .22 pistol and a Ruger 10/22 Rifle. Stay tuned…

Did you like this article? Check out the PAST REVIEWS  at the top of the page for several more. If you'd like to share your knowledge by posting an article or review, contact me at Kennard.yamada@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I just tried the same thing with my Taurus .22 revolver. Results were not as clear at 25' - probably due to my poor eyesight, but Federal Target was better than standard, in my brief couple tests.

    As for the price difference, I won't sweat that if I get better accuracy.

    ReplyDelete