Monday, December 15, 2008

Building a Custom Ruger 10/22: Part 2 of 4 - Buying

Buying the Parts


(This is one of the most thorough "Build Your  Own" 10/22 tutorials on the web)

Once I figured out some of the options out there (hours) and reading (hours) about the options many experienced 10/22 builders choose (hours), it was time to choose the parts and determine what I can get for $1,100. Most of the laminated stocks were around $150. I figured I'd go for $200 for the barrel, $250 for the trigger, $100 for the bolt and $150 for the scope. That would leave $250 for the receiver.

Browsing the RimfireCentral site will help any gun newbie learn of the preferred places to buy parts online. Plus there are sponsor site links there as well. The other option is to Google the part name and check the links given in the "Shopping results" list often shown at the top of page one of the results. Or check some of the other results which either lead to sites that sell that item, give a review or a forum post. As in part 1, Google is your friend.

I searched the web over for the solid blue stock from the picture from part 1 of this series. No luck and I spent hours trying. Did I mention hours. I found a solid pink version. Maybe there was a time when a blue version was made. Or by forum posts, it sounds like a guy named Tuck does some stock work. Some laminated stocks come unfinished but I was not going to try sanding, staining and finishing a stock. I do wish there were some solid color stocks. But in determining what I would get based on what was commercially available, I read some good things about Revolution stocks and their Yukon looked just like the blue one I wanted. Done.

So in considering the receiver, did I really need the most expensive one? No, but so many people posted about Volquartsen. I'm new to this so I take a great deal of stock in what the masses say and use. The first time I came across the Volquartsen Superlight for $235, I decided right there that I knew my receiver. The word was on the RimfireCentral forums, I heard that KIDD was working on a receiver of their own. But it wasn't available in time for me to make my purchases and I didn't want to wait until the New Year.

I went back and forth between the KIDD and Volquartsen trigger groups. Having decided on the Volquartsen receiver, I felt tempted to stick to the same brand. But in liking to have options, I kept leaning toward the KIDD with its ability to adjust. Although some people posted about their dislike for a double action trigger (KIDD), that point didn't stick in my mind as a deal breaker or issue. The KIDD was more expensive, but I wanted to spend more on the trigger and barrel figuring both would make the most difference. So KIDD it was.

The barrel was the hard part. I was very tempted by the Whistle Pig barrels. But that was all about the color options. There are also some carbon fiber barrels but the word seemed to be that these barrels are picky with the weather. While looking over the KIDD site for the trigger, I started considering getting their parts set. Their match barrel is $200 and they do have a barreled action option where all you would need was a stock. Forum posts showed good marks for KIDD stuff. So the KIDD barrel was the one.

I couldn't tell you why one bolt would be better from another. And I could get one with a KIDD part kit. So I went with a kit that included a KIDD trigger, barrel and bolt. Plus, I went with the $10 scalloped engraving for the bling. Although KIDD had a bolt handle available, I decided to go with the Volquartsen extended handle.

The scope was based solely on forum posts. So many people speak up for the Mueller AVP and how it could be had for $125 shipped. And although most scopes are black, this was one that was available in silver.

The final parts list:
Stock: Revolution Yukon
Receiver: Volquartsen Superlight (Silver)
Trigger: KIDD (Silver w/ red trigger)
Bolt: KIDD (w/ scalloped engraving)
Bolt Handle: Volquartsen
Barrel: KIDD
Scope: Mueller AVP
Scope Rings: 1” dia. .25” height
Extra: KIDD Receiver Pin Kit
Extra: Ruger 10-22 Magazine

KIDD was the place for purchasing the trigger, barrel, bolt, receiver pin kit and bolt buffer as a kit ($571 + $10 for scalloped bolt). I also bought a bore snake ($16) and magazine ($15) plus $5 shipping.
Shooters Discount was the go to for the Volquartsen receiver ($235), the Yukon stock ($122.50) and the Volquartsen bolt handle ($25) plus $18.50 shipping.
The AVP scope ($125) was from The Sportsman's Guide and the scope rings ($40) from a local Sportsman's Warehouse.
The crappy side of the purchasing process was the FFL transfer for the receiver. Some people charge as low as $10, if you can find them. A few sites recommended by Shooters Discount was

Gunbroker
Auction Arms
Shotgun News

Unfortunately, the few local options where I might have been able to do a cheap FFL transfer were no longer in business or were in the process of moving. After a week trying to find the cheapest option, I got anxious and called a local gun store. Even though I wasn't getting a whole gun sent to me, the grumpy old fart that ran the place charged me $50 for the transfer + $10 for the background check. What a waste of money. To be fair though, the local guy need to protect their business because there’s not much in it for them for us to buy everything online and use them as a mail box, right? If you owned a small book shop and people kept wanting to have their Amazon.com purchases sent to them via your store, it would be a waste of your business dollars. And, hey, I even asked a guy over the phone at that same shop about a price on a receiver and he never called me back. I figured that they could be $50 more than online and be the same money in the end. Oh well.

But I finally had all my parts. And went a bit over budget at $1,243. This includes the bore snake and magazine. The KIDD pin kit came with the KIDD item group so no way to shave off money there to get back to my original $1,100 price. Since I was still learning, it hadn’t accounted for the $50 FFL. And I could have either gone with a cheaper priced receiver or trigger group to hit my number. But I’ll take a 10% overrun to have my ultimate 10/22. Now it's time to get building.

Next Step: Building...

(Click HERE if you missed Part 1 - Planning)

3 comments:

  1. Now we're getting somewhere. Will you post more pictures of the finished product? How does it shoot? What was the overall cost? Was is worth it? I'm sure you'll cover all of this in the upcoming parts. Looking forward to seeing them. Is there a reason for the long wait between segments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. $1,243 was the final price as noted above. Yes, it shoots like a dream. The next post is on building the gun. The final post will be about shooting and final thoughts.

    Sorry for the time between posts. Kennard has been asking for the next posts so it's not his fault. I've been very busy at work with a year end project so it's been a tough time to put the posts together. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't you build a .17 HMR2? If you're already building from scratch and getting a high quality reciever. Look into the balistics and other ppl's comments- I think you'll find the .17hmr2 is superior in accuracy and energy at <100yrds as you stated. And the ammo is not that outrageously expensive. google varmint Al's page.

    ReplyDelete