Sunday, February 6, 2011

REVIEW: Taurus 738 TCP (with Crimson Trace Laser Guard)

NOTE: Multiple updates are posted at the end of the Taurus 738 TCP review.

Kel-tec started it. Ruger aggravated it. Now Taurus joined it.

Public demand for pocket-sized, polymer .380 semi-automatic pistols is insatiable. They are selling as fast as manufacturers can make them and just about every mainstream gun maker builds one. So, if a category is so hot, get on the band wagon right? That's exactly what Taurus did with the 738 TCP (Taurus Compact Pistol). This review will focus on options, actual shooting and size (the only reason a person buys a tiny .380).

If you're going to succeed in a category, even one as hot as the compact .380, you need to stand out and have a few points of differentiation, so Taurus built it's .380 with some neat bells and whistles, and options, that it's best-selling competitors don't have.

First, the Taurus 738 is built with something that the Kel-tec P-3AT and the Ruger LCP lack, a slide lock. Ruger has a manual slide lock but it won't lock the pistol open after the last shot, like all full-sized semi-autos. Taurus decided that this would be a great feature that would help them sell against competitors to they built it into the TCP. If you search the web, you'll find several articles that mention a malfunction of this feature–where the slide lock won't lock open after the last round leaves the barrel. In shooting 200 rounds through this pistol, we didn't experience a single failure to lock. We did have another problem, but we'll get to that in a minute.

Second, the Taurus 738 TCP is a really nice looking piece of hardware. I know function trumps looks but I still want my guns to look nice when they're sitting in my safe or in a holster. On looks alone, it's a winner, but there's more to the review...lots more.

Third, as of this writing, Taurus offers the TCP in six configurations–Blued, Stainless Steal Blued, Stainless Silver, Titanium, Pink Polymer SS Blued and Pink Polymer SS Silver. That's a lot of options.  You might not think guns should be made in pink, but someone else might disagree. Either way, if pink didn't sell, they wouldn't waste time and money manufacturing it right?

Lastly, just like every other Taurus, the TCP comes with the Taurus Security System that allows you to render the pistol unusable with a quick twist of a special Taurus key so it can be safely stored.

If any of these option are enticing to you, then Taurus has done it's job in giving you a reason to select the TCP over one of it's competitors. But there's another important factor in choosing a pistol, how it shoots.

Fortunately, I've pulled the trigger of several great .380s, Ruger, Kel-tec and Walther to name a few. And like most comparisons, there are definite differences in how the pistols feel and shoot. The first thing I noticed when I pulled the trigger on the Taurus TCP was how comfortable it felt in my hand. Comfort is a subjective thing, but most people will agree that the word "comfortable" isn't an accurate descriptor when shooting the Kel-tec and the Ruger. As a matter of fact, the first time a shot a small, polymer .380 I was surprised how much my palm hurt after only two magazines! I was expecting the experience to be more like shooting the Walther PPK or PK380, but the extremely small, rock hard, knurled grips squirmed around in my hand and punched into my palm like a hammer. There was nothing fun about shooting these little guns. Now, in the heat of battle, I don't think I would notice the discomfort, but at the range, I noticed it every time I pulled the trigger. Shooting the Taurus, on the other hand, was slightly easier and more 'comfortable' then shooting either the Kel-Tec or the Ruger. The shape and size of the grip gave my small hands a better purchase. In contrast, my friend David, the owner of the gun, has big hands and even he could shoot the pistol without the squirm we felt when shooting the Ruger and Kel-tec (see video).



As for accuracy, this is where the Taurus was a little bit of a let down. Remember, accuracy isn't the point when shooting, at more than 15 feet, with any little .380, but we really struggled with the TCP. Standing free-hand, it was hard to hit a 5.5" Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C. Three of us tried and three of us failed to "dial the gun in" at 15 feet, so we moved the target in to 10 feet. Again, we struggled for consistency even when taking our time between shots. In the real world, if the pistol were to be used in self-defense, I can believe that an 18 x 12 inch torso could be hit multiple times at 10-12 feet. And since that's the designed purpose of the TCP, a person should be able to adequately defend themselves against a lethal aggressor, but I was hoping for more from the TCP. As you saw in the video, my wife comments on her inability to hit the target and she's a pretty good markswoman.

Average Target Results from 15-feet
So you know, our best experience was with the Walther PK380 (but it's bigger in every way than the other .380s and that made it easier to shoot but harder to conceal), next was the the Kel-tec (I have to believe that it's white sites had something to do with that). After than was the Ruger LCP and last was the Taurus 738.

Another disappointing, and recurring, issue was a nagging failure to feed problem. We experienced at least 10 feeding "jams" in 200 rounds (maybe more but no one was counting). Way too many for a defense pistol in my opinion. In all fairness, the owner had not cleaned the TCP prior to taking it to the range. We found out, after a thorough cleaning, that was the primary root of the problem but even then an occasional cock-eyed round snuck up on us. It was another disappointment, and personally, I think he should send the gun back to Taurus for a factory examination. 

Last on the review list is the size comparison. I've taken a couple of pictures of the TCP next to a Taurus 709 Slim and a Ruger LCR. There wasn't any reason to compare it to the Ruger LCP since they are very similar in size, but I was surprised as so how close in size it was to the Ruger LCR. 


As you can see in the picture, when you set the Taurus 738 on top of a Ruger LCR, the profiles are surprising close in size for a revolver and semi-auto. The real size advantage is in the Taurus's thinness. It's really thin. 

Even as thin as it is, I found that it printed pretty badly when dropped into the front pocket of my cargo pants. 

The pistol is light too. The stainless models weigh only 10.2 ounces empty and the titanium weighs 9 ounces empty. That 1.2 oz might not seem like a lot, but think of it as more than a 10% reduction in weight. 

To sum it up, I liked a lot of what the Taurus 738 offers. I like the finish options, I like size and weight, I like how it felt in my hand, I really like the looks. I was a little frustrated with it's accuracy and the failure-to-feeds issues. The problems are more than likely unique to that one pistol and not indicative of the model itself, but since color, comfort and looks aren't important when defending yourself, I'd run a lot of rounds through one before you trusted you life to it.

UPDATE #1:
On 2/19/11, I bought my own Taurus 738 TCP. Academy Sports had a stainless version on sale for $259, a price too good to pass up. I thoroughly cleaned the pistol and ran 100 rounds of cheap Winchester, flat nose .380 though it without a single failure to feed or extraction issue. Not one.

Not only did it feed well, it shot well. I didn't have the problem keeping shots centered like I did with David's TCP. The photo to the left shows the result of two magazines, standing free hand at 21" on an 8" target. In my opinion, not too bad for a tiny .380 that I had just started shooting. I wish the three strays hadn't happened but they are still in a lethal zone and in my level of experience, strays happen. And how about this, Doug and I were 'dinging' torso-sized steels at 75 yards with the TCP standing free-hand. I was consistently ringing the steel 4-5 times out of six shots at 225 feet!

The gun still needs another hundred rounds through it to keep breaking it in, but I feel confident enough to carry it as a personal defense piece. I put five rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it and they fed perfectly too, so as summer approaches and shorts and T-shirts become the dress code, it'll be nice to have a "pocket protecter" with me at the lake,  and I don't mean the nerd kind.

UPDATE #2:

I added a Crimson Trace Laserguard to the TCP. I found this one on Amazon.com for $179. As you can see it doesn't alter the profile of the pistol very much and weight and balance changes weren't noticeable at all.

Installation was extremely easy and took about five minutes, including sighting it in. The device is two half pieces that attache to the trigger guard with two tiny allen head screws. Using the same allen wrench, you adjust for windage and elevation. I adjusted the dot on my pistol so it sits on the front sight when "painted" on a target 12-feet away from the muzzle.

Activation is "no-brainer" automatic. The activation button is right under the trigger guard and is activated by your middle finger. If you grip the pistol normally, your finger will activate the laser without the need for any additional thought. Grip the gun, laser turns on. Relax your grip, laser turns off.

On my Kimber Ultra Carry II, the laser is at the back of the gun attached to the grip. The benefit of this position is that gun smoke does not coat the lens during use. In a defensive scenario, this isn't an issue in any way, but on the TCP, the laser lens is right under the crown so residue does accumulate as you shoot. Again, it's not a big issue, you just need to carefully clean the lens after you shoot. Speaking of cleaning, care needs to be taken not to get any solvents on the lens. I personally believe that keeping solvents off of the entire mechanism is a good idea. The activation button is rubber and strong cleaners will break down the rubber over time and will do who knows what to the inside of the unit.

If you've read my reviews, you know my stance of laser sights. I think all concealed carry pistols should have them. In a panic situation, even with tons of practice, will you look at the front sight (especially the dinky TCP sights) as a 200+ pound bad guy charges at you? What about in low light? Do you really want to focus on a gun sight and not the attacker or attackers? Can you accurately shoot from the hip in tight quarters? As laser isn't magic, but it does allow better situational awareness, better aim in awkward positions and it gives you a trigger pull practice tool (some say it can decrease an attackers aggression, who knows).

Once you put a laser on your pistol, make sure to practice using it. Shoot hundreds of rounds from a variety of positions several times a year. Find a pistol defense instructor and get proper training with it. Remember, a laser doesn't magically guide a bullet to the red dot. It just shows where the gun is pointed as you begin to pull the trigger. Good techniques are still needed to keep the dot on target as you pull the trigger.

Enough preaching about lasers and back to the TCP. The Taurus 738 is a fantastic, inexpensive, easy to conceal defense gun. I know, some of you think .380s are barely powerful enough to penetrate bare skin. I agree that they are on the bottom of the caliber food chain, but I don't think of them as pee-shooters.

While at the range, I spoke to an active police officer that helped clear up my thought on the matter. As I handed him the TCP, I shrugged and said, "I know, not a bear killer." He held up the little pistol and looked down the tiny sight line, "Maybe not a bear killer, but I've seen way too many dead people that were shot with cheap .380s and .25s. I wouldn't want to be shot by one."

To paraphrase Dick Metcalf: A full-sized 1911 in .45 ACP is my first choice, but sometimes it's not practical to carry one, especially when running to the corner store for a gallon of milk. Or in my case, in the summer when wearing shorts and a T-shirt. In those instances, I think my little Taurus TCP will do just fine.

UPDATE #3:

I bought a Crossbreed MiniTuck for the TCP.  It's fantastic. I've owned a SuperTuck for my Taurus 709 Slim for some time now and it's a great way to carry concealed. I added a Laserguard to the Slim and needed a new Crossbreed so I thought I'd grab one for the TCP at the same time. In the accompanying photo you can see my 709 Slim below the TCP and how much smaller the MiniTuck if than the SuperTuck. The success of Crossbreed has brought copycats to market. Big names like Galco have ripped off the design but I'm staying true to the little guys at Crossbreed. They make a quality product and I'm happy to see them succeed.

Also, I can proudly say that the TCP now has over 500 rounds through it and it's performed flawlessly. My buddy's Kel-Tec has an occasional failure but my little TCP just plugs along without fail. I don't shoot the little gun as much as I shoot some of my full-sized pistols, but I keep a little ammo going though it just to keep her limber. I've always felt that little guns aren't built for weekly 200-round range trips. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't over-shoot the .380. All-in-all, so far so good. I can highly recommend the Taurus 738 Slim.

UPDATE #4:
I put a Hogue Handall Grip Sleeve on my Ruger SR9 and dang! I wanted to put a Handall Jr. on my TCP! The problem was that I couldn't find a way to make it work with the Crimson Trace Laserguard. I bought one and considered cutting it up but it was just too much trimming that left too little material in the fron. So, I went with another option, grip tape.

I found Donald Meyers' company Tractiongrips (Tractiongrips.com). They had a custom cut grip for the Taurus 738 TCP that perfectly fits without any trimming, unless you have a Crimson Trace Laserguard. In my case, I needed to trim the portion of the main grip that covered the front strap. If you enlarge the picture you can see what I did. Also, I trimmed about 2mm from the bottom of the main grip, just my preference as it fit perfectly out of the box. So, don't let the small gap in the photo make you think that the grips came that way. The set also included a back strap piece.

I took the front strap portion that I cut off and used it on the front of the magazine bottom plate. Perfect! After installing the Tractiongrips, I picked up the unloaded pistol, held it firmly and pointed it at the wall. It felt like a new gun! My grip was very secure. Shooting little .380s is really hard on your hands and the little pistols tend to squirm around requiring frequent finger readjustments. Well, after a trip to the range I can tell you that the grips do little to alleviate the discomfort of shooting a tiny .380 but they do amazing work of keeping the pistol securely in your hand.

Before the Tractiongrips, it was hard for me to make it though a 6-round magazine without wiggling my fingers to re-secure my grip. Now, I can run though 7 shots (6+1), change mags and run 6 more with out any gun squirm. I love these things!

As for concealed carry? I've only had them a couple of days but in that time, I haven't noticed any clothing snag or other issues. So far so good. I just hope they stay adhered for at least six-months. Any longer than that and I'd consider it a bonus. But for $7.44 if I have to replace them once a year, I'd be fine with that.

UPDATE #5:
Pearce has finally come out with pinkie extension grips for the TCP! I was alerted by a reader and I immediately ordered one. At $10, plus $6 shipping, for one magazine extension, I think they are a bit expensive. But when you're the only grip extension game in town for some makes and models, you can price the way you want, and like me, people buy.

The reader mentioned that the grips extensions for his TCP prevented the magazine from being fully inserted. It appears that he has a Taurus 738 TCP with a serial number that ends in "C".

Pearce has the following on their website.

NOTE: Due to a change in the factory magazines, a slight modification to the interface may be required on guns with serial numbers ending in "C". This will require light sanding on the interface side to allow the magazine to lock into place.


My TCP serial number ends in "B" so I didn't have any fit issues. The pinkie extension slipped right on and the magazine clicks into place perfectly, without any filing. 

The stock magazine butt plate adds about a half of an inch to the grip as is so the Pearce isn't a dramatic addition but it does give my pinkie a place to rest when firing the little gun. It's enough that I'm glad I bought it but not so much that the gun becomes harder to conceal, as is the case with the Pearce extension on my Taurus 709 Slim. With my 709 Slim, I have one magazine with the extension for carrying and my backup mag extended. 

At the range, the extension makes the pistol much easier to handle and shoot. It's such a perfect addition that I'm surprised Taurus doesn't make it a stock feature. I'm sure Pearce hopes they don't. After shooting with it, I feel that I need to add a small piece of grip tape to the front of it for added grip, like I did to my 709 Slim. This is the only improvement that Pearce could make to the grips. I wish they'd just go ahead and mold some knurls into the front of all their pinkie extensions.

Now that I know how the extension works on my TCP, I'm going to get second one for a total of $32 (for the two), and you know what? It will be money well spent.  www.pearcegrip.com


29 comments:

  1. Great article. There are a lot of options out there and I have been toying with the idea of getting the Taurus. F2F issues are not good but I have an acquaintance that has the TCP and hasn't had any issues, so it's more than likely your specific sample that's bad. From time-to-time it happens with the best brand name manufacturers. Thank you for the write up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bought one last week and cleaned it prior to firing for the first time. I ran 150 rounds of UMC 95gr FMJ ammo through it without a single failure to feed or eject. Accuracy at 7 yards offhand was in the 4" range. I love this gun and after one more range session with my carry ammo, I'll have a gun I am comfortable carrying as back up. The Desantis pocket holster (Nemisis) prints exactly like a wallet in my back pocket and allows for an easy draw with a little practice. Good luck!
    Patriotic Citizen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comments like these are very important. Thank you for your input and review of your personal experience with the TCP. If anyone else has experience with the TCP, please add your remarks. I'm interested to hear your comments on reliability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bought a 738 tcp 2 days ago. first day i cleaned the shit out of it. then the second day i went up the mountains to shoot it, 3rd clip it jammed, (took it home took it appart and found the bullet extractor had broken. so i took it back to sportsmans and they sent it back to taurus, we will see if it breaks again once they fix it. if so i hope they recall the gun and fix the problem permenently. (look at tactical life.com (lots of reviews there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got mine about a month ago , FTF on every mag about 4th - 5th round. i shot 100 rounds and just sent it to Taurus . I just got it yesterday after 3 weeks . put 200 rouds through it and not a single FTF , Jam etc . It feels just perfect . From reading a bit about it there are some series of TCP with the FTF problem , just send it back and don't be discouraged . I paid 229$ for mine with a stainless steel slide plus 150$ for the laser off the ebay. Very happy with the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice page.. beautiful picture.. i love it..

    come to visit my blog..
    http://shidee08.blogspot.com/

    thank you..
    please follow me back..
    hehee..=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When a police officer approaches a suspicious vehicle or individual on a dark night with his firearm raised, he cannot see his target unless his gun is equipped with a laser such as a crimson laser sight or grip. Likewise, many military operations are conducted in the dark and the enemy often attacks in the cover of darkness. Without a laser product, the military could not operate with the efficiency and accuracy that it does in combat situations. When an intruder gains access to your home, a laser can enable you to see the intruder and take careful aim, if necessary.
    crimson trace

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently purchased my TCP and I adore it. It has been reliable and solid and I am eager to put more rounds through it. The accuracy is impressive and I am soon to buy a laser for it. The weight and size are remarkable. So far I am very pleased with my purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bought a Stainless TCP three days ago. Took it home, cleaned it thoroughly, and took it to my farm. 50 rounds of Remington ammo - no jams - just perfect. 50 rounds of Mag-Tech ammo - no jams - just perfect. 100 rounds of my own "reloads" - no jams, just perfect. (Much better accuracy with the reloads) Time for another cleaning! This is a great gun. Crimson Trace laser on the way. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lady firing your Taurus at the range should most assuredly be wearing safety glasses: Losing some or all of your eye sight could be somewhat of a downer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not like youll wear them in a self defense situation.....

      Delete
  11. Very instructive,will take all the advise, & use it greatly, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Obviously on your blog you go through a lot of ammo right? I was wondering where you buy from? Is it somewhere local, or do you buy online? Do you pick it up as you need it or in bulk? I find in my experience buying in bulk from a site called The Sportsman's Guide is always the best way to save money. They have deals on bulk ammo year round, but I found this really sweet deal in their gift guide 2011. It's 420 rds of ammo with an ammo can for about $160. Like I said that seems like a pretty good deal to me, could you offer your advice and maybe present an alternative you feel is better?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had my 738 for a couple of months now. I absolutely love it and it makes a great back up pistol, or something I toss in my pocket when running down to the local Sonic for a Route 44. I have practiced with it enough to keep a 1.5 inch grouping at 7 yards and shoot the center out of my targets, with no FTF or FTE problems. I ALWAYS have my Taurus TCP 738 on me even when I leave my 9mm or .40 cal at home for the short runs to the gas station or Dollar General.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just bought my TCP about four week ago. Just sent it back to Taurus! Would pull trigger all the way back and hammer would go back but not release to hit firing pin! Have had about 10-15 FTF issues. Hope they get it fixed don't feel to comfortable as a back up gun! Still have my G27 so not all bad. Great site lots of info. Thanks Will

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just bought my tcp last week for my carry and bought an ria 1911 for home defense and to just get into the 1911 game.

    I had a bersa thunder 380 and i hated it. Ftf constantly. So that said i didnt expect much out of this one but was hopeful.

    Now my 45 shot great brand new never fired uncleaned and only two tap assists in 50 rds.

    So on to the tcp. I used pmc ball ammo the first mag was a few nice and easy took my time aquiring the target etc but it did so good i quickly moved to rapid fire. The tcp performed absolutley flawlessly. My shot group was 5 in. @ 7yds while empting the mag as fast as i could pull the trigger. Return to target was very natural and quick. Next mag was timed. 7 shots 1.8 seconds 5 in group @ 7 yds. Very very impressive.

    Now the reason i mentioned the 1911 is because it met my expectations. It shot decent is heavy and took time and concentration to line back up. Due to its weight i was more shaky but still knockin it out of the park at 50 yds.

    So while these two guns are no where near the samme category i can tell you i am satisfied with the 1911 because it shot just like a 1911. but the taurus exceeded every expectation i had for it. I think i could close my eyes turn and run screaming firing over my shoulder and still hit the target lol. No i dont practice this method.

    In short i highly recomend it. Its a great defensive pocket shooter and after the reliability of my PT 745 and now my TCP i think I am becoming a pretty big taurus fan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first Taurus as some are now made in the US. I purchased the TCP as a lightweight concealed carry when hiking or biking - I am surprised at the number of positive experiences based on my experiences and many conversations I've had about the TCP (unfortunately) after I purchased this one. Everyone I've spoken to has had multiple issues with theirs - mine has repeatedly failed to feed, on numerous occasions throws a hot casing back into my face, and the spring on the clip is too weak, causing the clip to fall out when fired. NOT a grip issue - all very common complaints heard from other owners.Accuracy is very poor at 15-20 ft compared to my Sigs and Kahrs. Taurus wants 4-6 weeks to look at it but they are very skeptical that it is a gun issue. I would not recommend this TCP - I really wish I was one of the lucky ones that has not had problems as the size and weight are right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought a TCP several months ago and had several problems with it usually FTEs some feed ramp issues. I pulled the little pistol apart, took out my dremel with a felt tip cone some Mothers Mag Wheel polish and spent about 30 minutes polishing everything I could get my hands on. Have not had any problems since then. Also I use ZMAX lubricant on all my guns and i believe it helps the surface friction of contact points.
    thanks ron

    ReplyDelete
  18. I purchased a Taurus TCP-738 in March of 2012, and the gun lived up to every expectation I wanted from it. Through a trade with a Derringer .38 two shot, I got the Taurus for $120.00 additionaly. I purchased 6 mags, and a crimson trace ($149.88) laser. I am going to sell the kitten kabottle for $425.00 if I can for cash needed. The handgun is great, and I have no complaints about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After reading so many mixed reviews I see the TCP with one clip for $199, so I bought it. After bringing it home I disassembled and cleaned thoroughly. I checked for burrs on the loading ramp and checked the strength of the clip spring. All looked good. Today I went to the range and fired the gun for the first time. All went well. I was able to group all within a 3 inch group at 15ft with the first 6 rounds. All in all I put 50 rounds of American 95grain through it with what I would consider remarkable accuracy and not one jam or issue. I love this thing. I ordered 2 more clips, mag extensions and a pach slide on grip. I am excited to own this. My first real pocket gun

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sale price on CTD: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GUN-738 $199.00
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a TCP Stainless steel serial # ending in "C" I payed about $300 for it. BUT!!! I have 100 rnds of Blazer Brass, 50 rnds of WWB and 50 rnds of Remington UMC. (all FMJ) no problems whatsoever. I also ran a box of 20 Hornady Critical Defense. still no issues ejecting or feeding. It seems reliable enough.

    The build on mine seems solid, though I'm not too impressed with the little details as far as finishing touches are concerned (a few rough edges on the slide.

    I will mention, my specific gun has no tolerance for even the slightest "riding" of the slide, but that's not a problem since you're not supposed to do it anyways. I just chose to suck it up and deal with it as it's nothing a little bump with my hand won't fix. I may do some polishing to the feed ramp here soon to try and address that though.

    To summarize my experience: MY* TCP has, so far, been a good, reliable, concealable shooter. I just wish someone had spent a little more time with it & a file before they sent it out for public sale.

    I would recommend one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A Hungarian PA-63 which I picked up in Europe 35 years ago is what I usually carry… but do to weight and other issues, ie, finding quality 9x18 Mak ammo, I decided to downsize for convenience of carry and concealment… Please note that I also have numerous other old school wheel guns and a govt 45, not well suited for CCW…

    28 June 2013, I purchased a 738031FS from Academy Sports for $200. The weapon comes with only one mag so I purchased a second mag made by Pro-Mag… took the weapon out to the country and attempted to run about 20 rounds through it… The 3rd round, I noticed that the disassembly pin was extracting itself from the left side… the pin continued to rattle around during the shooting… 12th round, the pin fell out… The Taurus Mag produced no issues… the Pro-Mag, it will get you killed… the mag doesn’t feed well into the gun… you have to continuously push the mag release button in order to feed the mag into the weapon… first round feed from this mag fails to feed period… you have to remove 2 rounds from the mag to feed a round into the chamber, then re-feed the mag to 5 rounds in order for it to work properly… At the end of the day, pay the extra bucks and attain the Taurus mag.

    Accuracy at 5 to 7 yards, it’s deplorable…but having this gun is better than throwing an alley apple or no gun at all…

    Disassembly and cleaning, I followed the instructions, extracted the disassembly latch pin, attempted to slide the top slide forward, the gun fails to break down for cleaning purposes…
    After 20 rounds, the gun is going back to the manufacturer…

    ReplyDelete
  23. I got my TCP on the third this month i bought it used from HSDS Guns. Only slightly though. It caused jamming on 4 out of 6 rounds, so i went to get my gun cleaned by my friend, who owns a 40 by FNP. Better than trying to improvise i got it done the right way. i now tap 1 in 50 just to show the difference in performance from having it cleaned. Knowing i have to treat it like a lady, it still has to be broken in, but that is the fun part. Disassemble on my behalf is perfect no problems with reassembling either. When purchased i got two magazines (one in the TCP) both Taurus but one requires a mag release/feed to fully insert it, or its like a child protection thing. But that's fine no problems feeding rounds from either. I received a holster too when i bought it, that is more like a pocket book, i have to lift to draw my baby which could be costly one day. And as a bonus they gave me a box of ammunition because that's what they used to test my gun anyhow and they cant sell open ammo oh and it was all they had anyway, soo i got lucky. This is just my experience with TCP no complaints except i will be looking into a new holster. Here's to PPs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have sent my tcp back to the factory 2 times. Still waiting for it to return, Has been a month this time. The last time they said they made an adjustment. First time back the range, same problem as before, FTF, second round out of the mag. I have to carry my wifes ruger sr22 until it gets back. Not a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is exactly the kind of review I enjoy--simple, to the point, and detailed. The updates are really helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a TCP ,it's been a very good handgun for me. I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5. I took one look at your video and I have a suggestion for your accuracy problems. The combat stance that is being used is all wrong....period. It's no wonder that the results don't even come close to the bench tests. Let's look at the woman's position (I'm not picking on her as all 3 persons stances were not good). she has both elbows locked forward in a squared-off stance to the target, arms extended as far out as they would go......nothing about this is good.
    Try this, left foot forward (slightly), left elbow bent and anchored against your body, left hand supporting the weapon ( with your left thumb tightly over your right thumb, to control recoil). Right elbow, bent to whatever angle that you need for the supporting left arm. Find your target and lock your wrists (it won't be comfortable, but LOCK YOUR WRISTS). You should absorb most of the recoil in your elbows not your shoulders (much easier to re-acquire your target).....Give it a shot.....better yet, spend a few bucks on professional instruction, money well spent....good luck....dayatthebeach@gmail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry dayatthebeach03@gmail

      Delete
  27. Where is the serial number at on tcp 380 pt738

    ReplyDelete